1. The letter was nothing important, so I t_______sed it into the trash.
2. We received an _______(invite) to the conference but decided not to go.
3. Long-term use of toxic __________ (chemistry) caused some workers to get skin cancer.
4. I always like to recall the days I spent with my family in the c_______e.
5. I took his t_______e, and found it was over 40 degrees.
6. Flour is the main i________t of all breads.
7. Be careful when you are using this knife; o_______e, you might hurt yourself.
8. Don't mention it. It is my _______(please) to help you.
9. It's been such a p___t evening. Thank you for inviting me over.
10. The accident o_______red because the driver of the red car was drunk.
11. It's important that we carefully s_______t our new leader.
12. Jennifer wants to study c_______y when she goes to university.
13. I really like the f_______r of these pork chops; they taste wonderful!
14. Can you remember the joy we had during our c_______d?
15. How I wish I could g___e across the ice just like that elegant skater.
16. Why are you always asking s_______y questions?
17. Learn to look in the rearview m_______r when driving so that you will know what's behind your car.
18. To e________d your vocabulary, you can try reading one article and memorizing ten new words a day.
19. I spent two hours trying to find the s_______n to a difficult math question.
20. Look at those two horses running and playing in the f_______d over there.
21. Look at the boy's painting! Isn't he an _______(imagine) little artist?
22. It's not necessary to use a lot of big words when writing a p_______m.
23. There is no ghost. It's all your i_______n.
24. Tom and I have been i_______ed to a party on Saturday.
25. In order to __________ (solution) this problem, he has to get help from three banks.
26. The window c_______ked when Johnny threw a stone at it, but fortunately, it did not break.
27. Thinking of the exam made him feel like a cat on a hot tin r___f.
28. That letter is just junk mail; you can t_______s it in the trashcan.
29. The book c________ns lots of the information you need. Take a look and you can find what you want.
30. P________ns are necessary for the body to grow. They can be found in meat, eggs and milk.
31.( ) The room was very dirty, with old books and clothes lying _______.
(A) for sure (B) all around (C) for instance (D) once more
32.( ) Barry sat in the window, _______ at the people passing by outside.
(A) making faces (B) crossing fingers (C) giving up (D) taking place
33.( ) _______ the country, people joyfully celebrate the coming of the New Year.
(A) Everywhere (B) Far and wide (C) Wherever (D) All around
34.( ) How many times __________ Japan?
(A) have you been to (B) were you gone to
(C) did you go for (D) are you in
35.( ) Never trust _____ as he.
(A) such handsome man (B) so kind teacher
(C) a so mean person (D) so selfish a person
36.( ) Tom says he will travel _______ to find true love.
(A) far and wide (B) front and back (C) to and forth (D) over and under
37.( ) The rainy weather _______ the traffic accident.
(A) might be able to (B) gave a way to
(C) played a role in (D) made a small hole in
38.( ) Su-lin was able to _______ her English skills _______ during her trip to New York.
(A) put . . . out of your mind (B) put . . . to bed
(C) put . . . off until later (D) put . . . to good use
39.( ) It's easy to forget _______ to be a child.
(A) how it's (B) what it is like (C) how is it (D) what does it feel like
40.( ) As _______ the pizza, Nathan has again showed that he is a great cook.
(A) for the only time (B) in the case of
(C) in the first place (D) to the best one
41.( ) Today I stayed home and studied _______.
(A) in the air (B) from now on (C) as for me (D) all day long
42.( ) Following _____ a piano solo performed by seven-year-old Sarah.
(A) will have (B) are (C) there is (D) is
43.( ) After the typhoon, we went outside and saw trash lying _______ the streets.
(A) in place (B) on top of (C) all around (D) across from
44.( ) I hope you will put the money you have saved _______ and not waste it.
(A) in the red (B) for the worst (C) for long ago (D) to good use
45.( ) Can I have my turn _____ the swing now?
(A) for (B) in (C) on (D) with
46.( ) What caused her __________?
(A) crying (B) to cry (C) cry (D) cried
47.( ) I have been to several big cities, _____ New York, Tokyo, and Amsterdam.
(A) such (B) like (C) as (D) for
48.( ) Friends really _____ a big part in our everyday life.
(A) make (B) get (C) play (D) do
49.( ) The boy was heard _____ about his teacher when the teacher walked in.
(A) complain (B) he complains (C) complained (D) complaining
50.( ) Just imagine _____ you would do if you were Superman.
(A) what (B) that (C) which (D) who